Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Holy Cow I'm an Adult! WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN????

For exercise I've taken to bike riding around the Wekiva sidewalk network.  I'm not up to Dany or AJ biking standards by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a decent way to stay in some kind of shape (other than "couch potatoe" which Elizabeth assures me is NOT a shape).

As I was riding today, feeling the cool breeze (yes, cool, it rained) on my face, I started to think back to when Pete, Jason, Kevin, Coker, Dave, and me would ride those same sidewalks to get where we needed to go.  We could cut over to Kevin's, to Larissa's (which was, as I recall, a favorite stop), even out to Todd and Daniel's.  Seeing the pieces of sidewalk that ran toward's Jennifer Estates, that cut out towards Bent Oak, I enjoying the fond memories.  Back then I was much more fearless.  You eat it on a bike then, you brush off the grass stains (maybe blood) and keep going.

And then suddenly it hit me.  Those fun, fond memories of riding the sidewalks as a young (pre car) teenager...are 20 years old!!!!  Reality hit like a brick wall: I am an adult.  The people I rode with are adults too.  We're married, some of have kids, we all have careers (not jobs, careers), we own houses, cars...

I enjoyed the rest of the ride, but it just wasn't the same.  I was cruising the same hills, same sidewalks, but now I was thinking about it.  Applying the brakes at times because I don't heal in five minutes any more.  My wife does NOT think it's cool that I jump some crazy sidewalk hump and wipe out in the grass (grass stains BAD).

So today is the day that I realized, fully and truly, that I am an adult.  And I guess I'm okay with that.  Dagnabbit!

1 comment:

Shae Shae Fantastica said...

I know. Isn't it shocking. WE ARE ADULTS!