Friday, December 19, 2008

(Early) Christmas Miracle

So its been quite a while since I've had a job I've felt secure in. I graduated with a degree I discovered the summer before graduation I wasn't happy with and really didn't know what I wanted to do. Then I discovered working with students at school. I became a substitute teacher, loved it and have applied for certification. Then I got a position as a paraprofessional in an ESE room. This was great, while it lasted. With the end of the school year, came the end of my term in this position. It was back to substitute teaching since budget cuts took away the need for new teachers here in Florida.

Today, God gave me an early Christmas miracle. Todd and I have been praying about a full-time teaching job for me. Inside, I felt as if searching was useless. No one needed teachers, and if they did, why would they hire one without a background in education? Today, I got a call about a position that was open... but I had to call the principal immediately!

The conversation went a bit like this:
Me: Hello, is this Mr. ___? This is Elizabeth Gable.
Principal: Oh yes, you must have received the message.
(... information about the position... ) Are you interested?
Me: Yes, it sounds great!
Principal: Great. You'll start the second week after the break ends, around January 12.
Me: Really?!? This position is a go? (yeah, I know... not real professional)
Principal: Yes. The job is yours. You can come by the week after break to help with the planning if you'd like.

So now, I'm just terribly excited, because this is truly an answer to prayers. It is a teaching position. Instead of a class of my own, I'll be working with students in 3rd-5th grade in the 30th percentile, to help them raise their FCAT scores in math, and a little bit of reading. I don't think its my dream job, but at this point, I can't say I even know exactly what my dream job is. I'm just so grateful for this opportunity, and a little nervous.

No comments: